Friday, September 17, 2010

Teeth

Teeth are weird.  They are such high-maintenance items.  My Mom is having dental surgery #2 right now and I am in the library waiting for her to be done.  Her first surgery was a MONSTER!  The dentist removed ALL of her teeth and shaved her top & bottom jaw bone down and tied it all up with 87 stitches!  Her recovery period was long and she got 2 infections. 
I thought after my Dad died that I would be more aware and have a heightened level of conscienceness when it came to my Mom aging but I still find myself getting aggrivated that she is not back to being 100%.  We think of our parents as our eternal flames, and in a way they are.  But they're aging process is hard.  At moments our roles are reversed and I am the care taker, the parent, making sure she rinses her mouth out and follows the doctors orders.  Some days she is SUPER annoyed with me because she is the parent and does not want to feel old and that she is not capable of taking care of herself.  Some days she is just depressed because she doesn't have teeth and she is not recovering as quickly as she wants to.  All in all this has been a lesson of human behavior.  I love my Mom so much, she is such an amazing woman that always put the five us first.  In some ways, that way of living has caught up to her.  I want to much for this period of her life to be filled with relaxed, wonderful, happy moments but unfortunately I am not in control of that. 
XOXO!

No comments:

Post a Comment